Surgical Technologist Interview Questions & Answers
Surgical technologists assist in surgical operations.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Stress management
- Attention to detail
- Listening skills
- Physical stamina
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Surgical Technologist positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Also, read more about frequently asked job interview questions here and check our job interview preparation checklist.
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
To prevent infections or other complications, surgical technologists must relay any issues that arise during surgery to the other members of the healthcare team.
Learn more about communication interview questions and how to answer them!
Attention to detail
Why interviewers are interested in your attention to detail:
Surgical technologists must pay close attention to their work. For example, they need to provide the correct sterile equipment for surgeons during an operation.
Why interviewers are interested in your dexterity:
Surgical technologists should be comfortable working with their hands. They must provide needed equipment quickly.
Why interviewers are interested in your integrity:
Because they are trusted to provide sterile supplies and care for patients during surgical procedures, surgical technologists must be ethical and honest.
Why interviewers are interested in your listening skills:
Responding to requests from surgeons and others on the surgical team requires the ability to listen to and understand spoken directions.
Why interviewers are interested in your physical stamina:
Surgical technologists should be comfortable standing for extended periods.
Stress management skills
Why interviewers are interested in your stress management skills:
Working in an operating room can be stressful. Surgical technologists should work well under pressure.
Learn more about stress management interview questions and how to answer them!
Surgical Technologist Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Surgical Technologist Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Learn how to answer these common job interview questions!
Examples Of Specific Surgical Technologist Behavioral Interview Questions
Learn more about answering behavioral interview questions by using the STAR interview technique.
- How would you rate your ability to work under pressure? Can you give me a specific example of a time you performed well under pressure?
- Walk me through how you prepare an operating room for surgery.
- Tell me about a time you made a mistake as a surgical technologist. What happened, and what did you learn from it?
- What do you consider your greatest accomplishment in your career? Why?
- Do you consider yourself a strong team player? Can you give me an example of a successful teamwork experience?
- Tell me about the greatest challenge you have faced as a surgical technologist. What made it such a challenge?
- Describe a tie you had a disagreement with a colleague. What happened, and how did you solve it?
- Tell me about some of the surgeries you have assisted in. How involved were you in the surgery process?
- Give me an example of a time when you effectively assisted a surgeon during a complex operation.
- Tell me how you plan, organize and prioritize your workday.
Learn more about questions to ask the interviewer during your job interview.