Veterinary Assistant & Laboratory Animal Caretaker Interview Questions & Answers
Veterinary assistants and laboratory animal caretakers handle routine animal care and help scientists, veterinarians, and others with their daily tasks.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Physical strength
- Manual dexterity
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Veterinary Assistant & Laboratory Animal Caretaker positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Also, read more about frequently asked job interview questions here and check our job interview preparation checklist.
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Veterinary assistants and laboratory animal caretakers communicate with pet owners, veterinarians, veterinary technologists and technicians, and other assistants. They need to be able to explain instructions, procedures, and other information clearly and effectively.
Learn more about communication interview questions and how to answer them!
Why interviewers are interested in how compassionate you are:
Veterinary assistants and laboratory animal caretakers must treat animals with kindness and show compassion to both the animals and their owners.
Attention to detail
Why interviewers are interested in your attention to detail:
Veterinary assistants and laboratory animal caretakers must follow instructions exactly as directed. For example, they must be precise when sterilizing surgical equipment, monitoring animals, and giving medication.
Why interviewers are interested in your manual dexterity:
Veterinary assistants and laboratory animal caretakers must be adept in both handling animals and using medical instruments and laboratory equipment.
Why interviewers are interested in your physical strength:
Veterinary assistants and laboratory animal caretakers must be strong enough to handle, move, and restrain animals.
Veterinary Assistant & Laboratory Animal Caretaker Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Veterinary Assistant & Laboratory Animal Caretaker Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Learn how to answer these common job interview questions!
Examples Of Specific Veterinary Assistant & Laboratory Animal Caretaker Behavioral Interview Questions
Learn more about answering behavioral interview questions by using the STAR interview technique.
- Give me an example of the daily tasks you’re experienced in performing as a veterinary assistant (or laboratory animal caretaker)?
- Tell me about a time you had to perform under pressure. How did you remain calm?
- Give me an example of how you deal with aggressive or anxious animals.
- Tell me about the different types of animals you have worked with in the past as a veterinary assistant (or laboratory animal caretaker).
- As a veterinary assistant (or laboratory animal caretaker), what type of cleaning duties are you used to performing?
- Give me an example of the clerical duties you are used to performing.
- Are you comfortable and experienced in assisting with the euthanization process of animals?
- Give me an example of how you educate clients on taking care of their animals.
- Tell me how you plan, organize and prioritize your workdays.
- Describe a time you failed. What happened, and what did you learn from it?
Learn more about questions to ask the interviewer during your job interview.