Veterinary Technologist & Technician Interview Questions & Answers
Veterinary technologists and technicians do medical tests that help diagnose animals’ injuries and illnesses.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Physical strength
- Manual dexterity
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Veterinary Technologist & Technician positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Veterinary technologists and technicians communicate with supervisors, other staff, and animal owners—a growing number of technicians counsel pet owners on animal behavior and nutrition.
Why interviewers are interested in how compassionate you are:
Veterinary technologists and technicians must treat animals with kindness and be sensitive when dealing with the owners of sick pets.
Attention to detail
Why interviewers are interested in your attention to detail:
Veterinary technologists and technicians must pay attention to detail. They must be precise when recording information, performing diagnostic tests, and administering medication.
Why interviewers are interested in your manual dexterity:
Veterinary technologists and technicians must handle animals, medical instruments, and laboratory equipment with care. They need a steady hand for intricate tasks such as doing dental work, giving anesthesia, and taking x rays.
Why interviewers are interested in your physical strength:
Veterinary technologists and technicians need to be able to manage and lift animals.
Veterinary Technologist & Technician Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Veterinary Technologist & Technician Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Veterinary Technologist & Technician Behavioral Interview Questions
- Give me an example of how you counsel pet owners on animal behavior and nutrition.
- What are your least favorite tasks to perform as a veterinary technologist (or technician)? Can you give an example of what you dislike?
- How do you ensure the safety of the animals that you are treating?
- Give me an example of how you have assisted with surgery. What were your responsibilities?
- Describe a challenging situation that you overcame as a veterinary technologist (or technician).
- Tell me about a successful teamwork experience. What made it a success? What was your role?
- Give me an example of your experience with administering medications to animals.
- Describe a time you made a mistake. What happened, and what did you learn from it?
- Can you give me some examples of the types of animals you have treated?
- Tell me how you approach diagnostic processes and decide on treatment options. Where do you start?