Geographers study the Earth and the distribution of its land, features, and inhabitants.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Critical thinking skills
- Analytical skills
- Writing skills
- Computer skills
- Speaking skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for geographer positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your analytical skills:
Geographers analyze information and spatial data from a variety of sources, such as maps, photographs, and censuses. They must then be able to draw conclusions from their analyses of different sets of data.
Why interviewers are interested in your computer skills:
Geographers must be proficient in GIS programming and database management and should be comfortable creating and manipulating digital images with the GIS software.
Critical thinking skills
Why interviewers are interested in your critical thinking skills:
Geographers need critical thinking skills when doing research because they must choose the appropriate data, methods, and scale of analysis for projects. For example, after reviewing a set of population data, they may determine a particular development plan’s implications.
Why interviewers are interested in your speaking skills:
Geographers must be able to communicate with coworkers; present, explain, and defend their research; and be contributing members of teams.
Why interviewers are interested in your writing skills:
Geographers often write reports or articles detailing their research findings. They also may need to write proposals so that they can receive funding for their research or projects.
Geographer Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Geographer Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Geographer Behavioral Interview Questions
- How would you rate your critical-thinking skills? Can you give me an example that demonstrates you successfully using these skills?
- Can you explain to me how you manage large amounts of data and information?
- How do you plan, organize, and prioritize your workdays? Can you give me an example?
- Tell me about your experience with presenting, explaining, and defending your research.
- Do you consider yourself a strong team player? Describe a recent successful teamwork experience. What was your contribution?
- Describe a time you came up with a creative solution to a problem.
- Tell me about a time you made a mistake in your work as a geographer. What happened? How did you fix it?
- How would you deal with a situation in which you disagreed with the approach of your team? Can you give me an example?
- Give me an example of a time you worked under pressure. What was going on? How did you manage?
- Describe a time you had to be efficient and effective with your time in order to meet all deadlines?