Desktop Publisher Interview Questions & Answers
Desktop publishers, also called DTP, which stands for desktop publishing, use computer software to design page layouts for items that are printed or published online.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Organizational skills
- Artistic ability
- Attention to detail
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Desktop Publisher positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Also, read more about frequently asked job interview questions here and check our job interview preparation checklist.
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your artistic ability:
Desktop publishers must have a good eye for how graphics and text will look so that they can create pages that are visually appealing and legible.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication ability:
Desktop publishers must collaborate with others, such as writers, editors, and graphic designers, and communicate ideas effectively.
Learn more about communication interview questions and how to answer them!
Attention to detail
Why interviewers are interested in your attention to detail:
Desktop publishers must pay attention to details such as margins, font sizes, and the overall appearance and accuracy of their work.
Why interviewers are interested in your organizational skills:
Desktop publishers often work under strict deadlines and must be good at scheduling and prioritizing tasks in order to have documents ready in time for publication.
Learn more about organizational skill interview questions and how to answer them!
Desktop Publisher Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Desktop Publisher Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Learn how to answer these common job interview questions!
Examples Of Specific Desktop Publisher Behavioral Interview Questions
Learn more about answering behavioral interview questions by using the STAR interview technique.
- Tell me more about the actions you took last year to become a better desktop publisher. How do you keep improving your knowledge and skills?
- What do you consider your greatest accomplishment as a desktop publisher? Why?
- Give me an example of a time you thought outside of the box while working on a project. How did it help you?
- How do you evaluate success as a desktop publisher? Can you give me an example?
- Describe a time you made a mistake. What happened, and how did you fix it? What did you learn from that situation?
- Tell me about a time you went above and beyond to get the work done on a project.
- Give me an example of how you plan, organize, and prioritize your daily work as a DTP specialist.
- Describe a time you encountered a challenging situation as a desktop publisher. How did you overcome the challenge?
- Give me an example of a goal you set for yourself in your previous (or current position). What actions did you take to achieve your goals?
- How do you stay up to date on new market development and trends in the industry? Which trends are you most excited about? Why?
Learn more about questions to ask the interviewer during your job interview.