Receptionist Interview Questions & Answers
Receptionists do tasks such as answering phones, receiving visitors, and providing information about their organization to the public.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Customer-service skills
- Organizational skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Computer skills
- Interpersonal skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Receptionist positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Also, read more about frequently asked job interview questions here and check our job interview preparation checklist.
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Receptionists must speak and write clearly when providing information and corresponding with customers.
Learn more about communication interview questions and how to answer them!
Why interviewers are interested in your computer skills:
Receptionists should be adept at using computers.
Why interviewers are interested in your customer-service skills:
Receptionists represent the organization, so they should be courteous, professional, and helpful to customers and the public.
Learn more about customer-service interview questions and how to answer them!
Why interviewers are interested in your integrity:
Receptionists may handle confidential data, especially in medical and legal offices. They must be trustworthy and protect clients’ privacy.
Why interviewers are interested in your interpersonal skills:
Receptionists should be comfortable interacting with people in different types of situations.
Why interviewers are interested in your organizational skills:
Receptionists take messages, schedule appointments, and maintain employee files. They need good organizational skills to manage their diverse responsibilities.
Learn more about organizational skills interview questions and how to answer them!
Receptionist Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Receptionist Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Learn how to answer these common job interview questions!
Examples Of Specific Receptionist Behavioral Interview Questions
Learn more about answering behavioral interview questions by using the STAR interview technique.
- Give me an example of a situation in which you provided excellent customer service.
- How do you make sure you manage your workload when it’s really busy at the front desk?
- Which skills do you think are important for a receptionist? Can you tell me how you use these skills in your daily work?
- Describe a time you had to deal with an upset person at your front desk. How did you handle the situation?
- How do you ensure that you minimize the risks of errors in your work?
- What is your strategy to keep up in a fast-paced work environment? Can you give me an example?
- Receptionist work can be repetitive; how do you stay motivated to perform your best?
- Tell me what you would do if a client showed up fifteen minutes late for their appointment.
- How do you ensure that you manage communications in the office securely and confidentially?
- Can you give me an example of how you deal with stressful situations at work?
Learn more about questions to ask the interviewer during your job interview.