Customer Service Representative Interview Questions & Answers
Customer service representatives interact with customers to handle complaints, process orders, and answer questions.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Customer-service skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Listening skills
- Computer skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Customer Service Representative positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Customer service representatives must be able to provide clear information in writing, by phone, or in person.
Why interviewers are interested in your computer skills:
Customer service representatives must be adept at using computers.
Related: What Does a Customer Advocate Do?
Why interviewers are interested in your customer-service skills:
Representatives help companies retain customers by professionally answering questions and helping to resolve complaints.
Why interviewers are interested in your interpersonal skills:
Representatives should be able to create positive interactions with customers.
Why interviewers are interested in your listening skills:
Representatives must listen carefully to ensure that they understand customers in order to assist them.
Related: What Does a Car Rental Agent Do?
Why interviewers are interested in how patient you are:
Representatives should be patient and polite, especially when interacting with dissatisfied customers.
Related: What Does a Ride Operator Do?
Why interviewers are interested in your problem-solving skills:
Representatives must determine solutions to customers’ problems. By doing so, representatives contribute to customer loyalty and retention.
Customer Service Representative Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Customer Service Representative Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Customer Service Representative Behavioral Interview Questions
- Give me an example of a time where you resolved a difficult customer issue.
- Tell me about a time when you ensured that a customer was pleased with your service.
- Give me an example of how you helped increase revenues, reduce costs, or save time at your current company.
- Tell me about a time you received negative customer feedback. What could have been done to make it better?
- Give me an example of a situation in which you provided excellent customer service.
- Describe a time when you had to interact with a difficult customer. What was the situation, and how did you handle it?
- Tell me about a time you noticed a problem and took the initiative to correct it rather than waiting for somebody else to do it.
- What do you do when you’re dealing with a large number of customers? How do you go about prioritizing your customers’ needs?
- Tell me about a time you were unable to help a customer with their problem. What was the exact issue, and how did you handle the situation?
- Give me an example of a time that you changed an unsatisfied customer into a happy one.