A FedEx ground package handler is an essential part of the FedEx team, responsible for sorting and preparing packages for delivery.
In this article, we will explore the duties and responsibilities of a FedEx ground package handler, as well as the job requirements, skills, and salary and job outlook for this position. We will also provide an example job description and discuss similar jobs to a ground package handler.
FedEx Ground Package Handler Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of a FedEx ground package handler include:
- Sorting and scanning packages: Package handlers are responsible for sorting packages by destination and scanning them to ensure that they are properly processed for delivery.
- Loading and unloading packages: Package handlers are responsible for loading and unloading packages from delivery vehicles, as well as moving them to and from storage areas.
- Operating equipment: Package handlers may be required to operate equipment such as conveyor belts, pallet jacks, and forklifts to move packages.
- Maintaining a clean and safe work environment: Package handlers are responsible for maintaining a clean and safe work environment, including following safety protocols and reporting any hazards.
- Working in a team: Package handlers are expected to work effectively in a team and communicate with co-workers to ensure that packages are processed efficiently.
Overall, the duties and responsibilities of a FedEx ground package handler involve sorting, scanning, and preparing packages for delivery, as well as maintaining a clean and safe work environment and working effectively in a team.
FedEx Ground Package Handler Job Requirements
The job requirements for a FedEx ground package handler typically include:
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent (GED)
- Training: On-the-job training is provided
- Experience: No prior experience is required
- Certifications & Licenses: None required, but a valid driver’s license is preferred for certain positions
The job duties of a package handler include physically handling packages, loading and unloading packages, sorting packages, and using equipment such as hand trucks and pallet jacks to move packages.
The job may also require working in a warehouse environment, and the ability to lift packages up to 70 lbs is required.
Overall, the job requirements for a FedEx ground package handler include a high school diploma or equivalent, physical ability to lift and move packages, ability to work in a fast-paced environment, attention to detail, and ability to work flexible hours.
FedEx Ground Package Handler Skills
The required job skills for a FedEx ground package handler position include the following:
- Physical stamina: Package handlers must have physical stamina to stand for long periods of time and lift and move packages weighing up to 75 pounds.
- Attention to detail: Package handlers must be detail-oriented to ensure that packages are sorted and processed accurately.
- Ability to work in a team: Package handlers must be able to work effectively in a team and communicate with co-workers to ensure that packages are processed efficiently.
- Time management skills: Package handlers must be able to manage their time effectively to meet deadlines and ensure that packages are prepared for delivery in a timely manner.
- Basic math skills: Package handlers may be required to calculate prices and make change for customers.
Overall, the required job skills for a FedEx ground package handler position include physical stamina, attention to detail, teamwork, time management skills, and basic math skills.
FedEx Ground Package Handler Salary
The salary for a package handler can vary depending on factors such as location, experience, and the specific employer. According to Glassdoor, the average salary for a FedEx ground package handler is $12 per hour. However, this figure can vary significantly based on location and other factors.
As for the job outlook, the demand for package handlers is expected to increase in the coming years due to the growth of e-commerce and online shopping. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of material moving machine operators, which includes package handlers, is projected to grow by 4% from 2020 to 2030. This growth is faster than the average for all occupations, indicating a positive job outlook for package handlers.
FedEx Ground Package Handler Work Environment
The work environment of a FedEx ground package handler is typically fast-paced and physically demanding. Package handlers may be required to stand for long periods of time and lift and move packages weighing up to 75 pounds. They may work in a warehouse or distribution center setting, which can be loud and may have fluctuating temperatures.
Package handlers may work a variety of shifts, including evenings, weekends, and holidays, and may be required to work overtime during busy times. They may also be required to work in a team and communicate with co-workers to ensure that packages are processed efficiently.
Overall, the work environment of a FedEx ground package handler is fast-paced and physically demanding and may involve working in a warehouse or distribution center setting and a variety of shifts.
Some of the latest trends in the field of package handling include:
- Increased automation: Many companies, including FedEx, are investing in automation to improve efficiency and reduce the need for manual labor. This may involve the use of robots and other advanced technologies to sort and process packages.
- E-commerce growth: The growth of e-commerce and online shopping has increased demand for package handling services. This trend is expected to continue in the coming years.
- Increased focus on sustainability: Companies are increasingly focused on sustainability and reducing their environmental impact. This may involve implementing eco-friendly packaging solutions and reducing the carbon emissions of delivery vehicles.
- Increased use of technology: Package handling companies are using technology to improve efficiency and accuracy, including using scanners and other tools to track packages and optimize routes.
Overall, the latest trends in the field of package handling include increased automation, e-commerce growth, increased focus on sustainability, and increased use of technology.
How to Become a FedEx Ground Package Handler
To become a FedEx ground package handler, you typically need to meet the following requirements:
- Meet the age requirement: Most employers require package handlers to be at least 18 years old.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent: Most employers require a high school diploma or equivalent for this position.
- Be physically able to lift and move packages weighing up to 75 pounds: Package handlers must have physical stamina and be able to lift and move packages weighing up to 75 pounds.
- Meet any additional requirements set by the employer: Some employers may have additional requirements, such as the ability to pass a background check or drug test.
To apply for a package handler position, you can visit the FedEx website or search for open positions on job search websites. You will typically need to submit a resume and cover letter and may be required to complete an application and/or an interview.
Overall, to become a FedEx ground package handler, you typically need to meet the age requirement, have a high school diploma or equivalent, be physically able to lift and move packages weighing up to 75 pounds, and meet any additional requirements set by the employer.
FedEx Ground package handlers may have the opportunity to advance within the company through various promotion and advancement opportunities.
The specific advancement opportunities available to a package handler may depend on their performance, skills, and experience, as well as the needs of the company.
Some potential advancement paths might include:
- Package handler to package handler lead: This role involves taking on additional responsibilities, such as supervising and training other package handlers, and coordinating the flow of packages within a facility.
- Package handler to courier: This role involves driving a delivery vehicle and delivering packages to customers.
- Package handler to supervisor: This role involves managing a team of package handlers and couriers, setting goals and targets, and ensuring that operations run smoothly and efficiently.
- Package handler to manager: This role involves overseeing the operations of a facility, including managing budgets, implementing policies and procedures, and ensuring that customer service standards are met.
It is important to note that advancement opportunities may vary based on the needs of the company and the individual’s performance and qualifications.
FedEx Ground Package Handler Job Description Example
Job Title: FedEx Ground Package Handler
We are seeking a motivated and reliable individual to join our team as a package handler at our FedEx Ground facility. In this role, you will be responsible for receiving, sorting, and loading packages onto delivery vehicles in a timely and accurate manner. You will also be responsible for maintaining a clean and organized work area.
- Unload packages from delivery trucks
- Sort packages by destination
- Load packages onto delivery vehicles
- Maintain a clean and organized work area
- Follow all safety protocols and procedures
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- Previous warehouse experience a plus
We offer competitive pay and benefits, as well as opportunities for advancement within the company. If you are a hard-working and reliable individual looking for a challenging and rewarding opportunity, we encourage you to apply for this position.